Sunday, September 9, 2018

Cheddar Broccoli Soup Recipe and 37 more cheesy recipes

I love soup – obviously – but it’s so hard to narrow down a favorite – I seriously make soup at LEAST once a week, but THIS – cheddar broccoli soup – will ALWAYS be a go to. I judge all soup and sandwich places by their broccoli cheese soup.  If they don’t have a good one I never go again.  I mean seriously – it’s such an easy soup that if they can’t make a good one nothing else is worth trying IMO.
Now some people are purists and JUST want a thick cheddar soup with broccoli – but I like to add potatoes, onions and carrots – I love the added texture of the grated potatoes in the soup – and to be fair too much plain cheddar soup is BORING, so the other veggies bring a texture and flavor I adore. Now I like the potatoes and carrots grated – I like it better than chunks in this one soup – BUT I like to grate them BIG, not little grates (I use this shredder but use whatever you have)

Ingredients
  • 4-5 large Potatoes
  • 1 Large Onion
  • 2 Carrots
  • 3 C broth chicken or veggie
  • water
  • Broccoli florets from 4-6 heads
  • 3/4 C butter
  • 3/4 C all-purpose flour
  • 2 C half n half
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp pepper
  • 2-4 C grated Cheddar Cheese


Instructions
  1. Peel and Grate the potatoes (you can chop them instead - but I like the texture of the grated potatoes. Add the chopped onions and carrots (again I grate the carrots, but you can chop them instead)
  2. add the broth then enough water to JUST cover the veggies and bring the veggies to a boil - boil until the potatoes are almost done - large chunks will take longer, but the grated potatoes won't take much time at all - basically just bring it to a boil
  3. add the broccoli florets and stir, boil another 5-10 mins depending on the size of the broccoli - you want the broccoli to easily be pierced by a knife or fork
  4. During that time, in another saucepan melt the butter, then whisk in the flour
  5. once the flour and butter has cooked to an almond brown cream add the half n half and cook until thick
  6. add the thick sauce and salt and pepper to the water and veggies and stir until smooth
  7. take off the heat and stir in the cheddar cheese a little at a time until your happy with the tastes
  8. add more salt or pepper as needed